Wednesday, November 17, 2010

"Many go out for wool, and come home shorn themselves".

I really don't get it.  I am usually the first in line to criticize my Party - and especially the Caucus purporting to decide/speak for the entire party all the time - for not consulting or at least finding some way to do a real values-oriented validation on the big policy directions of the day. (Not talking issues management here.)  I for one am getting pretty darned tired with the "You Propose, therefore I Oppose" modus of political debate in this country (well not just this country, but I digress).  Sounds silly, I know, but some issues are just too important for politics.  So one question for the LPC Caucus members and other Party members and pundits now vocally opposed to Leader Michael Ignatieff's position on assistance to Afghanistan but who (presumably) approved of the foreign policy program announced in June and fleshed out earlier this month:  If this were all happening for the first time today, what role is it exactly that you would propose Canada take on?  What role, given our historical outlook and historical strengths?
I'm not usually a betting gal, but I'd venture a wager on this one that the answer, from a military perspective would likely be along the lines of peacekeeping and training.  Particularly as we right now probably have the best, and freshest experience and expertise in the world to impart.
Where I will (must) agree, though is that the Canadian public is surely owed a public and open debate and discussion in the interests of public order and good government and in that vein, the Party is too. I guess what goes around, comes around.
I am warningly mindful though, as I often am, of Sir Edmund Burke's poignant commentary on representation: Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays instead of serving you if he sacrifices it to your opinion.

2 comments:

  1. I very much like your commentary and presentation ... witty, smart, poignant + boisterous !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But at this stage, it's not at all clear that there SHOULD be any more military contributions on our part: not when what we'd train them to do is... hunt & kill the Taliban (while we ourselves hide from them), but the Karzain gov't actually wants & intends to MAKE PEACE with the Taliban.

    No, better to give them more development aid -- which we just cut in half! -- to train up all the _civilian_ functions which have gone dormant there, as most of the country is either in some sort of military capacity already, or: is growing & trading opium.

    ReplyDelete